Sunday, November 30, 2008

Holidays

I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend. We did. We went to our friend's house to spend Thanksgiving Day. Today we'll be having Thanksgiving dinner with my brother and his family.

When the holidays come around, it is easy for me to focus on what I didn't have growing up. What I tend to forget is that even in those holidays that were not what I wanted them to be, there were nice little things that we did do. My mother and us kids would make ornaments for our tree. My mom would go and buy sequins, styrofoam balls, beads, and straight pins. We would all sit around the table and make special ornaments for that year's tree. Then we'd make popcorn garlands for the tree while we drank hot chocolate and told Mom what we wanted for Christmas. I had forgotten about this little tradition, as it ended when I was in 6th or 7th grade, until Friday morning when I was out shopping with my friend. I hadn't been able to bring any money to spend on Christmas gifts that day and was feeling a bit bummed, we were in the ornament section and something I saw on the display tree reminded me of those times. God is so good to remind me of these things that were nice during the holidays when I was growing up.

What special traditions do you and your family have for the holidays?

My favorite dish on Thanksgiving is not Turkey. In fact, I ate only one small bite. I prefer to eat the sides and desserts. Sweet potatoes and Green bean casserole are my favorites. Oh and the canned cranberry sauce that comes out whole. It just doesn't taste the same if it is not in the can shape with the lines from the can there to cut by. :)

What's your favorite dish?

In a week or so, the girls and I are going to my friend Laura's house to make Christmas candy. I love trying to come up with new things to make each year along with the old favorites. My favorite to make is truffles, being that they are chocolate and cream, how can you go wrong with that?

Do any of you make Christmas candy to share with friends and family?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I hope that you are having a wonderful celebration with your brother and his wife today!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

This was the first year in my life that I did not have turkey. Well, I might not have had it my first year since I was only 2 months old. lol

Our favorites were the sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole. I did not grow up having either, that I remember, and we've come to enjoy having them now.

We've never made any foods to share with anyone, really. I'd like to share my blueberry jam, but am too chicken to mail it and risk it getting broken.

Hugs, Robin

Anonymous said...

Hi! My favorite memories are from Thanksgiving and Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. When Grandpa would tote all around in the tractor and the smaller kids (excluding you and Wayne) would run around the yard like lunatics and the adults would play Uno, Rummy Cube and Skipbo. I can still see the piles of presents under the tree..those were the best holidays ever!

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Favorite dish??? Hmmm.... dressing.

Yup.

I love it!

Happy Thanksgiving (a little late). I'm back from holiday travels and trying to make my rounds.

Blessings!
Lacy

Shelli said...

Amber I had forgotten about the tractor rides at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I still miss both of them. The holidays with them (and that side of the family) were always special for me. I especially loved Easter egg hunts with money in the eggs, that was so much fun.

Gina said...

That's a great Christmas memory, Shelli!! I think as time goes by, we tend to forget the bad and appreciate the good- I like that!

I love pumpkin pie and apple pie this time of year. and turkey (dark only!)and stuffing. and mashed potatoes. and gravy. and sweet potato casserole. and cranberry salad.
I love it ALL! :-D
My best memories are Thanksgiving at Grandma's every year. She was the BEST cook. All the aunts and uncles and cousins would get together. They lived in a farmhouse with a barn. We had a blast. I miss those times so much.

By the way- you can TOTALLY be "brave" enough to wear a coat like mine!!! Why not?!?! What's to fear???
It's WARM. It's SOFT.
It doesn't bite. :-)
Get crazy, girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you!

Happy birthday to you!

Happy birthday dear Shelli!!

Happy birthday to youuuuuu!

Happy happy happy 3_th birthday! LOL

Love & hugs, Robin, Em & Bek!